Death is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away into the next room.
I am I and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other,
that we still are.
Call me by my old familiar name.
Speak to me in the easy way
which you always used.
Put no difference in your tone.
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.
Laugh as we always laughed
at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word
that it always was.
Let it be spoken without affect,
without the trace of a shadow on it.
Life means all that it ever meant.
It is the same that it ever was.
There is absolutely unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you,
for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just around the corner.
All is well.
-Henry Scott Holland
I found out this evening that my school friend's grandmother (and parent's neighbour) passed away today after suffering a stroke. What I remember most about Sally was her incredible sense of family and it was comforting to know that when she died, she was surrounded by those whom she loved and indeed who loved her. Goodbye Sally - to live in hearts we leave behind is not to die xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment